Since life in Perth is so incredibly expensive, it's been my goal to learn to live as cheaply as I can. Fortunately, everyone around is eager to give you all the best tips. On Sunday afternoons, the markets in Fremantle try to get rid of all their fruits and veggies, so you can get them for great prices. For $12 we got huge bags of fresh pears, tomatoes, grapes, peaches, bananas and mushrooms. I'm hoping by the end of my stay I will know exactly the right times and places to get the very best deals!
After we made a quick dinner at the apartment with some of the fresh bought produce, we headed into a suburb of Perth called Subiaco to attend a free event that was part of the Perth Festival. We entered a blocked-off street where nine different ten-minute long vignettes were set up in the store fronts. Moving from story to story, we read the background or thoughts of the people in the scenes, observing their often simple interactions or activities. It was a fascinating representation of the depth of every person's story and the complexities of our own thoughts. It was amazing how much of Australian lingo I understood and that I recognized many of the places/cities that were mentioned and could even tell you where most of them were located. I can't believe it has only been a week and I have already learned so much!


No comments:
Post a Comment